Friday, January 8, 2016

Familia Barros

Heyo!

So here I am, sitting in the mission home waiting for dinner. Writing one more letter home as a missionary. WHAT IS HAPPENING

But I just wanted to share a little bit about my last week, this special family, and the many blessings that came pouring down this week! 

So the Barros family are members of the church. The dad is in the bishopric, one of the sons is a priest, and their youngest daughter Alicia goes to primary. They are all super cool. When Sister Smyth and I first got the the area, we asked our ward mission leader if there were part-member families in our ward that we could work with. This family was brought up. The mom, Isabel, had been inactive for months and months. No one really knew what happened, but she just didn't want to come back to church! And because of her inactivity, Alicia, who is almost ten, still wasn't baptized. So we just decided to get to know this family, especially the mom. They live out in the boonies, but regardless we trekked out there and visited them a few times, just trying to help and serve and love them. We didn't really know what else to do haha. But after a little while the mom came back to church! It was actually such a miracle! She has been actively coming to church for the past two-ish months and I just love to see her there. It has helped their family be so much more united, having mom at church too. 

A few weeks ago we asked if we could help Alicia prepare for baptism. Isabel said that they still wanted to wait until February for her to be baptized. We were a little bummed, but we knew that we just needed to respect the decision and keep helping to strengthen the mom. BUT THEN, two Sundays ago, they announced in sacrament meeting that Alicia was going to be baptized the following Sunday, which was yesterday! Isabel called us over, we helped prepare everything, we helped Alicia prepare a little more, and yesterday we had a beautiful baptismal service. It was amazing! 

I know that Heavenly Father has plans for us. He knows His children. He inspires and uplifts us. I am so grateful for this wonderful family, they have a very special place in my heart. As do SO many people I have met on my mission. I love Portugal, I love my mission, I love the Lord! 

See you tomorrow! 

Sister Wood 



No comments:

Post a Comment