Sunday, December 27, 2015

Maria de Fatima

Olá Familia! 

This week was really good! We started out the week with a nice TROPICAL STORM on Tuesday! Tropical storm, meaning red alerts on the news and and people not leaving their homes because of the rain and wind warnings. But no one actually told us about this tropical storm so yeah we worked in it all day! IT WAS A JOKE! We were literally being pushed around by the wind all day and soaked all the way through by the buckets of rain. Plus two cars drove through lakes of water right next to me and I actually almost drowned. I was like I had jumped in a pool. Our umbrellas kept flipping inside out like would be expected, but they also closed in on our heads several times as well.  We decided to name the storm Maria de Fatima, hence the title. It was one of the most hilarious days.

So on Thursday we went to visit a member named Celeste. She is 85 years old and actually an angel. Because my comp has the voice of a disney princess, we asked if we could sing a hymn with Irmã Celeste and she quickly chose "There Is Sunshine In My Soul Today." We started singing and Celeste just went HAM. She was singing so so loud and like rolling around on the couch and enjoying that hymn more than I´ve ever seen anyone enjoy a hymn. I tried to hold myself together but I couldn´t help but laugh, so we all started laughing and singing and she was SO HAPPY. Hands down one of the best moments of my lyfe. I love love love the old ladies here! 

On Friday we decided we would have a day of miracles. Cheesy, I know. But we decided to fast and ask the Lord to help us reach all our goals and find people with a lot of potencial to teach. And then we went to work! It was one of those experiences when Heavenly Father answered our prayers exactly how we asked. We were able to reach all our goals for that day and we found a new couple to teach, and we had a really good lesson with a family we´re teaching. It was a testimony builder for us! I know that when we do all that we can and show our faith that the Lord will make up the difference and help us achieve righteous desires. It may seem like a small thing, but for me this day was a huge tender mercy. 

President Amorim has asked us to be more bold and brave as missionaries. He´s asked us to do at least one new bold thing every week. AH. So yesterday Sister Smyth, me, and the two other Sisters in our ward went down to the boardwalk where there are always hundreds of people. Three of us sang hymns while one person contacted the people passing by, handing out invitations to church, family proclamations, etc. And then we would switch off. It was really awkward and I wanted to jump in a lake. But as we kept going, people started to stop and listen. It was neat because quite a few people actually came over to us and asked for the family proclamation. We were able to share the gospel with a lot of people by this seemingly uncomfortable activity, so that was great! Sister Smyth and I have also been working on contacting large groups of people, such as those waiting at bus stops and stuff. The Lord asks us to open our mouths and share the gospel with EVERYONE, and as we´ve been trying to be more brave and bold we have felt the Spirit testify of our words. We just gotta get out of our comfort zone sometimes! 

That´s about all I got, I´m proud of myself for sending an email with four big paragraphs. So yeah, i hope you all have a great week! Loves! 

Sister Wood 


Fotos: Sister Smyth and I
Also us four down by the river that separates Porto and Gaia



No comments:

Post a Comment