Monday, January 5, 2015

Fantastic Mr. Fox goes Portuguese



HEYO!!

   So I´m here in Vila Franca De Xira. It´s this cute little city about 45 minutes out of Lisbon, and it´s cool! This city is nationally known for bull fighting- which sadly ended in like October. Apparently they block of the streets in the center of town and just let the bulls go crazy. And crazy Portuguese men jump in with them and run around and I´m just really sad I missed it! Ôh well.  But now, they have Christmas music playing in the streets and I LOVE IT. They have this one song they play a lot that sounds exactly like the song from Fantastic Mr. Fox- you know, the one with the kids singing in creepy voices about the farmer guys? Every day I enjoy the sound of Portuguese children singing about Christmas and am reminded of that fantastic fox. IT'S THE BEST
   This past week has been good! COLD. It´s fun because we don´t have hot water! But we have plenty of mold to make up for it... lolz it´s fine! :) We have a cute little branch here that needs some tender loving care, so we´re working hard to find less active members and help strengthen  the recent converts. And find new people to teach. Sister Leavitt only had about three and half weeks here before the transfer so we do a lot of wandering streets/contacting to figure out our area better. Sister Leavitt is awesome- from Idaho, majoring in Viola Performance, has no fear to talk to people on the street, and makes HUGE AMERICAN breakfasts every morning. I´m not complaining! :) I feel really lucky to be serving with her.
   The members here are great! One that we particularly like is Lopes the sheep herder. Yes, he is a sheep herder. He is the freaking best!! He reminds me a lot of Grandpa Wood, so needless to say I love him a ton. He named his newest baby lamb after my companion and we had a good laugh about that haha. I love Portuguese people.
    So this week I´ve really seen that the Lord truly does qualify who He calls. For real! Here we are, two major noobs, trying to do missionary work. But we are trying our best and putting all our faith in the Lord, and we see so many tender mercies every day! For example, the language. The gift of tongues is real! I was nervous to train because I wasn´t super confident in my Portuguese and training a new companion who has less time with the language. But I know that Heavenly Father is perfectly aware of our fears and weaknesses, as well as our strengths and capabilities! He takes care of us always. As we´ve turned completely to Him this past week for help and guidance we have been blessed in so many ways. I love Heavenly Father!

   Well, I hope you all have a wonderful week! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Sister Wood

New Address: 

Sister Carley Wood
Rua General Humberto Delgado
Nº50 1Esq.
2600-154
Portugal


PS- ratchet hair in the picture.. i don´t like ice showers..





No comments:

Post a Comment