Monday, April 20, 2015

Flower headbands are never a bad idea!

 Hello! I can´t believe it´s freaking MARCH already! Weird. This week ran by so fast for us for some reason. Time is really starting to move and it´s weirding me out! But it was a good week.

   On Saturday we were on our way to eat with a family in our branch, the Gomes, when we happened upon a cute little field of flowers. We decided to make some flower headbands haha. It was cute! We felt cute. Then we went on our way to eat with this family. It´s a mom, Dora, and three daughters, Camilla, Naide, and Alda. They are the BEST. Their conversion story is really cool- Five years ago Dora´s husband was contacted on the street in Lisbon but he gave the missionaries Dora´s number. And she DID NOT want to talk to them haha. She already had a religion and didn´t want anything to do with the Elders, but they were persistent. One day they called her and for the first time she was actually home, but she didn´t think they´d be able to get to her house before she left to get her daughter. But somewhat miraculously they showed up 10 minutes later and she finally talked to them. After some time, she read the Book of Mormon, which was the key to her conversion. She was baptized first, then her daughters and husband followed one by one. They were sealed in the Madrid Temple and now are a really strong family in the church. The daughters want to serve missions. I´m so grateful for those persistent Elders that didn´t give up on this family, because they have changed this branch and also my mission. 
   My mother asked me if I´ve eaten anything really weird here, so I will give a recent example. For lunch Dora fed us this really good meat and vegetable stew that was delicious, along with this other thing. I can´t remember what it´s called, but it´s something they eat in african countries a lot. It fills you right up. It´s this plant root that they dry and ground up and mix with flour and boil. It doesn´t sound that bad and it doesn´t really taste like anything, BUT IT HAS THE CONSISTENCY OF A THICK BOOGER. Ohh my goodness I was dying. Boogers are like the one thing I cannot do. I can deal with poop or vomit but BOOGERS NO. So rough. I dutifully ate it and was grateful for the meal. But I hope I never get served boogers again.
   This week I learned even more about the power of fasting. I know that Heavenly Father guides us and answers our prayers as we fast with faith. :)

I love you! Have a great week!

Sister Wood



No comments:

Post a Comment