Wednesday, August 12, 2015

ONE YEAR

Hello! This week was a good one. For real. 

So long story short, we haven´t had a real mission president for the last two weeks because there was a big change up and we are getting a different new president, Presidente Amorim. And he won´t get his visa until tomorrow, so we´ve been floating around up just waiting for his arrival! But, because we don´t have a mission president right now, last week Elder Teixeira from the Seventy and his wife came to Porto to have a special conference with the leaders in the mission. We also got to Skype Presidente and Sister Amorim. It was all SO COOL! Two important things I learned on this day are:
1) President Amorim is called of God to be our mission president. We´ve all been a little nervous about having a new president and seeing how everything would go, but when we skyped him the Spirit confirmed to me in my heart that this man is truly the Lord´s chosen servant for the Porto misison. I felt a profound love and respect for the Amorims, and I know that was the Holy Ghost telling me that they are exactly who Heavenly Father wants. I know that our leaders are called of God. 
2) Love the people. So we´ve been having a hard time finding people to teach for the last few weeks. We feel like we just keep running into all the people who do NOT want anything to do with us. We´ve been feeling a little lost, to be honest. But Elder Teixeira helped me regain some perspective. Elder Teixeira is Portuguese, and he knows and loves his country. As he bore his testimony at the end of our meeting, he broke down in tears and said, "Missionaries, DON´T give up on them. They are good people. They need YOU." As I watched this man, a servant of the Lord that I respect and sustain, tearfully express his love for the Portuguese people, his words pierced my heart. I know that i was called to this mission for a reason. The Lord has a plan for the rest of my mission, in this country and with these people that I love.

Portugal is where it´s at. 

Also, this week I hit my one year mark and I´m like WHAAAAAAAA. So weird. A year ago, I was probably crying myself to sleep in the MTC because I couldn´t speak Portuguese. What a weenie, am I right? Lolling at myself. This past year has been the most rewarding, tiring, fun, wonderful year of my life! I love my mission more every day. I feel like only in this last year have I truly learned the meaning of the Atonement. I´ve learned that Jesus Christ truly makes up the difference for my shortcomings, when I am doing all I can to be my very best. I love my Savior and I know that He lives, is aware of us, and is ready to help us when we reach for Him. I´m so grateful for the experiences I have had in the last year that have taught me this important truth! I love being a missionary. <3 

Boa Semana! 

Sister Wood 




No comments:

Post a Comment