Wednesday, August 12, 2015

SERVICO

Hello family and friends! 

One of my weekly goals is to write a better email. This is for you mom! 

This week was good! Every week is good, and every week is different. We did divisions in a city called Vila Real, and it was hotter than sin but also a wonderful division! I spent the day working with Sister Júmua, who is from Mozambique. She tried to teach me some African dances, and then later we braided her hair. I have never felt so white in my life! My new joke is telling people that I´m from one of the islands of Cape Verde. People don´t really know how to react, sarcasm doesn´t go over the same way in Portuguese.. I think I´m pretty funny. 

We did a Family Night with the Elders and two recent converts who are actually the two funniest old ladies I´ve ever met! We just laughed the whole time. Isabel and Maria Angela, best friends for life. Maria Angela is the lady who dove into the baptismal font when she was baptized. LOL.

On Thursday we went to a member´s house to give a little service.. we didn´t know what type of service it was, so we just went in proselyting clothes. But when we got there we discovered that we´d actually be sweeping up mounds of dirt and cemente from a house this lady is renovating. We weren´t exactly prepared, so she gave us some clothes to work in. We looked like middle eastern women, but it was wonderful to help this member out! 

One of my favorite moments from this week was visiting a member who has recently passed through a family tragedy. We talked about the Plan of Salvation, and how God knows what is best for us and how to help us with our specific needs. I am so grateful for a Savior who loves us and knows us, and who overcame death so that we will too. I know that the plan Heavenly Father has for us is perfect. We felt the Spirit so strongly as we shared our testimonies with this member. We also ate Oreo's with her, laughed, sang hymns, and she gave me marriage advice. Not too shabby! 

All in all, I learned, or was reminded of, the importance of service this week. Whether it was helping a Sister out and braiding her hair, having family night with people whose families have already gone to the other side, helping a member with some house construction, or sharing a testimony and a laugh, service does not go unnoticed in the eyes of the Lord. I am eternally grateful for the blessing I have of serving a mission, and having experiences like these that teach me to be more like our Savior. All He ever did/does is serve us, so now it´s our turn to do a little service too. Helping each other feels good! 
 
Have a happy week! Loves! 

Sister Wood 





No comments:

Post a Comment